Thursday 13 November 2008

Progress

James has never been a fan of inserting exclamation marks into blog posts and I agree with this approach. However the next sentence warrants three...

After 8 weeks of preparation, training, enlisting support, and a few courtesy steps backwards, we have done it:

The new emergency ward is up and running!!!

We have a dream team of nurses and they seem to be loving it. The work is hard but one of them said to me today "I do not mind hard work if we are making a difference."

James ducked out of surgery today to help in medicine

The impact has been immediate and absolute. In the past, there would have been no in-ward medical cover from the time the patient was admitted until the next day. The mortality figures amply demonstrated this with >50% of all medical mortalities occurring during this time.

Now there is medical cover and most importantly, nurses trained in the basics of acute care. Today was a first for many things:
1) The first time an emergency cupboard was opened to save a patients life
2) The first time a ward performed obs on all patient admissions
3) The first time a prescription chart, fluid chart, observation chart and acute care pathway were used
4) The first time that the doctors and nurses were working together as a team

Today was another first for me- it was the first time I saved an asthmatic patients life with the power of creative thought. We had a very unwell asthmatic (who was also very dehydrated and had a chest infection) brought in today. We had no medicine for this at JTH so I sent his grandson who was only about 10 to the Pharmacy to buy some asthma medicines (I needed 3) and some antibiotics. He had spent what little money he had- he could only afford a salbutamol inhaler and the antibiotic. He looked at me with tears in his eyes.

An idea dawned. A salbutamol inhaler can be made more effective if you attach something called a "spacer" which a well made static-free container (we don't have these either). In fact it is as good as a machine that we use in the UK for our severe asthmatics (called a nebuliser). So I took a large mineral water bottle, cut out a hole in the bottom and covered it with tape. Then I made a smaller hole in the tape and put the inhaler in that end. I got the patient to put their mouth at the other end and breath. After 10 puffs on this, 3 litres of fluid and some antibiotics, there was a massive improvement. This chap would have almost certainly died if it was not for this new ward.

The improvised salbutamol spacer

At 5 pm, one of the patients relatives came to me. "Khwaja (means white man), I want to thank you for the work you are doing. That child was crying because he thought his grandfather would die. I have just left the man- he is sat up and talking to my husband."

The nurses were amazing. They seemed to be enjoying themselves and (with the exception of a few minor hiccups) they slotted into the new system like a glove. The day was much less chaotic than I anticipated and I left at 6pm physically exhausted but mentally exhilarated. I am certain that two people would have needlessly died today if it was not for the nurses and the New Emergency Ward. However, anecdotal evidence in Medicine is of no value, which is why we are going to monitor all deaths and see if there is a noticeable reduction.

See you all soon,

David

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys I am so proud of you for what you have acheived in such a short time. Take care
Jo x

Anonymous said...

Hey guys you may get this message twice.
I am so proud of what you and the team have acheived in such a short time, and well done David on the spacer device, genious!
Take care
Jo x