Sunday 14 September 2008

But I don't want a crew cut...

Following our abortive attempt to meet the Minister yesterday, James and I decided that next time we saw him we would look better if we had well trimmed hair - it shows you mean business.
So, at about 3 pm yesterday, James and I pulled up outside the only hairdressers in Juba. The hairdresser was situated in a sky blue portakabin flanked by a bright pink picket fence. In a bid to attract customers, an artist had painted what looked like a young version of Lionel Richie complete with black leather jacket, a rakish moustache, and very beautifully presented curly black hair.

James asked “for a grade 4 round the back and sides with a trim on the top please.” I asked for “A grade 3 round the back and sides please and leave the length on top.” “Okay,” the barber (whos enthusiasm and confidence perhaps outweighed his ability) replied as he began to hack at the top with some trimmers.

I just managed to stop him in time. For James, however, it was too late. He was left with a grade 4 all over with a fringe at the front. He wisely decided that it would be prudent to remove the fringe, and apply some shorter blending at the back and sides to avoid the 'tennis ball' look.

For the next half hour, I watched as the barber creatively carved my hairstyle into something that looks like several palm trees growing out of a pot. Near the end he sprayed some blue/purple liquid around my neck. My nose caught the strong aroma of alcohol, like paint stripper.

“What is that?” I asked.

“Methylated spirits,” he replied. Just what everyone wants.

After the methylated spirits had evaporated, my neck received a generous dusting of talcum powder, followed by a stern wire-brushing of the face to remove the excess hair. I parted with 15 sudanese pounds for the privilege- about £4.

Ah well. It should grow back by Christmas...

David xx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A photo would be nice - or is that why James appeared in his theatre hat in the last entry?! As long as it keeps raining you could probably get away with it outside the theatre...? John and Mary

Anonymous said...

show us the skinhead! from phil